One of my favourite snacks to make is, for sure, some yummy energy balls.
They are so easy to make, and you can basically add whatever you want (or have in your fridge) in them.
They also last quite long and you can store them in the fridge.
They are super handy to throw in a small container and have as an on-the-go kind of snack, when you are running late, on the way to the gym after work, or as a sweet little treat after lunch. I love preparing them for when I go on vacation, a nice and easy airport or plane treat!
I use dates and nuts as the base of my balls. The dates make them nice and sweet and the nuts add some good fats and protein. Then, from there I add whatever I feel like. I use the ratio of one cup of nuts and one cup of dates and then maybe two a 1/4 cup of shredded coconut. I also like to add some super foods to just boost the nutrition even more. My favourite lately has been carob powder. It is a cacao powder alternative and made from dry, roasted carob tree pods. It is often used in baking and used as a natural sweetener. It is low in fat, high in some fiber and anti-oxidants. Adding it to the date balls is so yummy, and definitely a little chocolate kick!
Here is my favourite recipe:
1 cup of dates (pitted)
1 cup of nuts (I used almonds, cashews and pecan nuts)
1/4 cup of shredded coconut
1 tablespoon of carob powder
2 tsp maca powder
Crack of salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender until a dough like consistency.
- Roll into balls and roll in some coconut or carob powder.
- Let them set in the freezer (20 minutes) and then store in the fridge in an air-tight container.
Use the recipe as a base and change up the ingredients to things you have available or like.
- Remove a few dates and add some cranberries or raisins.
- Add a scoop of peanut butter or cashew butter.
- Add some of your favourite super foods like chia seeds or hemp seeds.
I hope you enjoy these energy balls. Let me know if you make them!